HEARTLESS REVIEW

TITLE: Heartless
AUTHOR: Marissa Meyer
SERIES: Standalone
PUBLICATION DATE: November 8th 2016
PUBLISHER: Feiwel & Friends
SOURCE: Bought



Catherine may be one of the most desired girls in Wonderland and a favorite of the unmarried King, but her interests lie elsewhere. A talented baker, she wants to open a shop and create delectable pastries. But for her mother, such a goal is unthinkable for a woman who could be a queen.
At a royal ball where Cath is expected to receive the King’s marriage proposal, she meets handsome and mysterious Jest. For the first time, she feels the pull of true attraction. At the risk of offending the King and infuriating her parents, she and Jest enter into a secret courtship.
Cath is determined to choose her own destiny. But in a land thriving with magic, madness, and monsters, fate has other plans.



Me at the beginning of the book-"Okay it's the story of a villain so it's obviously gonna end up badly, no reason to get attached to the characters. Something has to happen if she's gonna become the evil queen of hearts. No reason to get attached. None at all. Nada. Zilch.

Me at the end of the book
Image result for it hurts gif
                                                                          
I was alternating between crying and fangirling!!!!

I felt that since i knew what was going to happen in the end, it would be a pretty passive read for me and that i wouldn't invest in the characters or even feel bad when the ending happened-because we already know how it ends! I could not have been more wrong! I tried so hard not to fall for the characters but i was immediately swept up into the world and the amazing hilarious, passionate and uniqueness of them all! And the more i read the sadder i became because i realized there was just not gonna be enough pages in this book and the ending just kept coming and coming! I was dreading it so bad but i couldn't put the book down either so i swallowed the whole book until i finally reached the ending. Thought i was mentally prepared. I WAS NOT. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL. AND BITTERSWEET. AND HEARTBREAKING. BUT SO FREAKING AWESOME.
Image result for alice in wonderland cat gif


I had a few glitches with this book but not enough to take a star away! Firstly i felt like Jest kind of lost his appeal as the book moved on, i LOVED him at the beginning-especially that entrance! And i shipped the romance so hard but as the story continued the romance kind of lost its swoon...I needed more romance!! Also i wished we had a longer ending :P

But Jest at the beginning? *swoons*


“You have my heart, Jest. I don't know if you deserve it or not. I can't tell if you're a hero or a villain, but it doesn't seem to matter. Either way, my heart is yours.”

But i still loved the romance! I loved the forbidden attraction between the two and the closer they grew the more Cath felt helpless to change her situation. Their romance was a slow burn and filled with witty banter and midnight rendez-vous! *swoons*.


“You must think I’m a fool to even consider rejecting him.’
‘My lady, I am a professional fool. I can say with certainty that you do not have the makings of one.’
She smirked. ‘Then that’s a relief.’
‘Is it? Have you something against fools?’
‘Not at all. Only, if I were as natural at foolishness as I am at poetry, I might try to take your position from you, and you seem so very well suited to it.” 

After i finished the book i immediately went to rewatch Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking glass (Tim Burton's version) and i was quite confused by how the queen of hearts played in the two movies and the book mentioned the Red Queen. And i just understood that the Queen of Hearts is not the same person as the Red Queen! The Queen of hearts is in Alice in Wonderland and the Red Queen is in Through the Looking Glass! I felt so dumb lol :P!

All the characters were super well written! I kind of felt bad for the king...he was really weak and kind of like a stupid cartoon but at times he could be kind of...cute? I don't know there was this childish innocence to him that made him a little cute since he didn't seem to have an ounce of evilness but at the end of the day even though i felt a little bad for him i wanted to hit him on the head!

I LOVED Cath!!!! Her character was extremely well written! I loved her baking and her strong dreams, she was lively and passionate. I wish she'd fought back against her parents more often but i understood that there was only so much she could do, in the end they were still her parents. She did have a certain bitterness in her and i liked that it was always there. You could see tiny instances when her really bad character came out especially when she was repulsed by the King. She was just phenomenally well written!

“I am not empty. I am full to the brim with murder and revenge. I am overlfowing and I do not think you wish for me to overflow onto you.”



Image result for queen of hearts fantasy


“Off with his head”


I have this poster in my room of Selena Gomez and in the whole book i pictured her as Cath!



And i have to say, i am absolutely head over heels IN LOVE with my gorgeous hardback <3

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks a million for taking the time to post a comment :)